Go Back   Guild Wars Forums - GW Guru > The Inner Circle > The Riverside Inn

Notices

Old Jun 23, 2005, 08:01 PM // 20:01   #1
Jion
Ascalonian Squire

Advertisement

Disable Ads
Default GW community going down?

Is it just me, or has the maturity of the community online suddenly dropped recently? If I just pick up a crystal or scepter (quest item) and I'm not a warrior, I'm flooded with messages like:

"GIVE ME THE ------G CRYSTAL NOW YOU NOOB "
"DROP THE -----G SCEPTER YOU ---"
"THATS IT, IM NOT HEALING YOUR ---"

Excuse me if I haven't been playing this game since the beta. In fact, god forbid anyone to actually try this game if you haven't been playing since the BETA. If you actually didn't play this game until the retail version came out, well you are evidentally a NOOB, since everyone's got XXX,XXX experience on their character.

I usually try to avoid stereotyping, but I don't think I'm wrong when I guess that most of these immature people are made up of teenagers who don't have anything to do when school's out. Now, I don't think that the majority of teenagers are immature, but I do think that the ones who are immature are teenagers.

Here's a thought: try talking to them in a POLITE manner, instead of cursing and threatening people when they do something wrong. Really, do you expect people to be scared of you because you're not going to cast MENDING on them?

BTW, no, I don't want to join a guild.
Jion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 08:16 PM // 20:16   #2
Draven Mauler
Ascalonian Squire

Guild: ION
Profession: Mo/N
Default School's Out For Summer!

It happens in every online game every year from mid-May to early-June there is an influx of immaturity in all online games.

I have had Guilds of my own to manage on several servers... I have canned more Guilds because of this type of behavior than for any other reason. I happen to know for a fact that GW has a target market of the young man from about 13 to 20 in age. If you look at the Pre-Release artwork on the packaging and female main character in the preview vid you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

Aside from the summertime blues, there is a year-round problem with immaturity. These people who talk and act this way are the same who belittled you on the playground since Kindergarten.

The best way to deal with them is to remember this: Only somebody who has no self-esteem has need of belittling others. Retaliation is the likely result of their actions. Those who lash out in anger are no better because they obviously don't understand what I just said. Aside from the younguns, there are many over-weight middle aged men who behave no better.
Draven Mauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 08:36 PM // 20:36   #3
salatious
Krytan Explorer

Guild: Looking for a better Guild
Profession: E/Mo

i just ignore them all together when they act like this and go about my marry way like i dont even see or hear it..

Im a long time socom player for Ps2 and hear these little kids that sound like there 8 to 12 cussing like there adults and its a shame that we have allowed our youth to come to this.

The more you acknowledge them the more you fuel there undeveloped minds to be smart ásses
salatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 09:01 PM // 21:01   #4
Wolfhound
Pre-Searing Cadet

I prefer to just say "Ooppss! I just salvaged that. You want the iron ingot?"
Wolfhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 09:04 PM // 21:04   #5
Obsidian Dragon
Ascalonian Squire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfhound
I prefer to just say "Ooppss! I just salvaged that. You want the iron ingot?"

Nice
Obsidian Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 09:06 PM // 21:06   #6
Bueno Star
Frost Gate Guardian

Guild: Digital Heroes
Profession: Mo/N

that immature attitude is the same reason i stopped playing Halo 2 on Xbox Live. I love the game. and for a while i would only play with my clanmates, then it reached a point where we heard the N-bomb being dropped so much that i just decided to ditch the game altogether.

luckily, i managed to build a guild (hehe) that is very fun to play with and lacks the immature idiots that grace nearly every online game.

shame, but it happens.
Bueno Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 09:13 PM // 21:13   #7
Nad
Frost Gate Guardian

Meh...get used to hearing shit you dont like and get over it. And to the original poster, i'm sure most of the people blew up on you like that because they're so used to newbs grabbing quest items and running off with em. It's happened to me so many times...just drop the item and get on with the mission with out getting the urge to post about it.
Nad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 09:14 PM // 21:14   #8
Dirkiess
Wilds Pathfinder

I think the easiest way to get rid of these types of people is to leave them to it, ignore them when they shout at you and then go find another Party that has good manners and are fun to play with.

There is a high IQ rating out there and there isn't much we can do about that.

So don't give up as there are lots of nice people out there. Just remember, you don't have to live with them, be in there guild or be friends with them. They have to live with themselves for the rest of there lives.

Oh, and if you wonder what IQ stands for, it's Idiot Quota.
Dirkiess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 09:18 PM // 21:18   #9
Dirkiess
Wilds Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nad
Meh...get used to hearing shit you dont like and get over it. And to the original poster, i'm sure most of the people blew up on you like that because they're so used to newbs grabbing quest items and running off with em. It's happened to me so many times...just drop the item and get on with the mission with out getting the urge to post about it.
Yes, but shouting at people with obscenities is not the way to go about teaching people how to play the game.

Have you ever seen the Chefs on TV or in Restaurants. What is the one common thing they all do. They Fu**ing Swear at there staff. Where did they learn this technique? From the Chefs in the Restaurants where they learned there skills.

So, if you keep swearing at people, then others think that is what is necessary to play this game, and they follow suit. Be nice to people and it will be noticed just as much and make it a nicer gaming experience for everyone.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 09:19 PM // 21:19   #10
Volarian
Krytan Explorer

Guild: NOT-Nomads Of Turmoil

Well realize that in the instances mentioned by the original poster, those quest items when held can tie the holder to mobs drawn to that object...thereby possibly putting a weaker (in terms of armour) player in serious harms way.
Those people who berrated him for picking the item up may have been there before and know the drill..........which means.........THEY BEHAVED LIKE A NOOB BY NOT MAKING SURE ALL PARTY MEMBERS WERE UP TO SPEED BEFORE STARTING OUT!!!

It's hilarious to see the noob-sayers act like this when they did nothing to prevent it. This is no different than getting into a pug to do FoW or UW and not making sure everyone knows to NOT talk to the ghosts and to not pull before all are ready/regen'd etc. I hope the end result of you picking up the item was the total annihilation of the party (not for your death but theirs).....reverse griefing....NICE!!
Volarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 09:25 PM // 21:25   #11
Dirkiess
Wilds Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volarian
Well realize that in the instances mentioned by the original poster, those quest items when held can tie the holder to mobs drawn to that object...thereby possibly putting a weaker (in terms of armour) player in serious harms way.
Those people who berrated him for picking the item up may have been there before and know the drill..........which means.........THEY BEHAVED LIKE A NOOB BY NOT MAKING SURE ALL PARTY MEMBERS WERE UP TO SPEED BEFORE STARTING OUT!!!

It's hilarious to see the noob-sayers act like this when they did nothing to prevent it. This is no different than getting into a pug to do FoW or UW and not making sure everyone knows to NOT talk to the ghosts and to not pull before all are ready/regen'd etc. I hope the end result of you picking up the item was the total annihilation of the party (not for your death but theirs).....reverse griefing....NICE!!

Totally agree with that.

I always make sure people know what they are doing before going into hard missions. There are a few new players along the way, and explaining to them is beneficial to all, and they normally thank you for the advice and the fact that they got through the mission with you after one attempt, whereby they had tried 10 times before with people who didn't explain anything.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 11:16 PM // 23:16   #12
Unik
Academy Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jion
Is it just me, or has the maturity of the community online suddenly dropped recently? If I just pick up a crystal or scepter (quest item) and I'm not a warrior, I'm flooded with messages like:

"GIVE ME THE ------G CRYSTAL NOW YOU NOOB "
"DROP THE -----G SCEPTER YOU ---"
"THATS IT, IM NOT HEALING YOUR ---"

Excuse me if I haven't been playing this game since the beta. In fact, god forbid anyone to actually try this game if you haven't been playing since the BETA. If you actually didn't play this game until the retail version came out, well you are evidentally a NOOB, since everyone's got XXX,XXX experience on their character.

I usually try to avoid stereotyping, but I don't think I'm wrong when I guess that most of these immature people are made up of teenagers who don't have anything to do when school's out. Now, I don't think that the majority of teenagers are immature, but I do think that the ones who are immature are teenagers.

Here's a thought: try talking to them in a POLITE manner, instead of cursing and threatening people when they do something wrong. Really, do you expect people to be scared of you because you're not going to cast MENDING on them?

Just to point out here, you seem to tie those type of actions and immaturity with the *Beta* players.

Funny thing is, in the betas we didn't have to deal much with this, not in game or on the forums.

Unik
Unik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 01:26 AM // 01:26   #13
=HT=Ingram
Forge Runner

Guild: Haz Team [HT]
Profession: R/W

I have to agree... I have been going back quite regularly to presearing to help fellow clan mates that just bought the game and are now in our guild. Why you ask? because there seems to be so manyy asses in the game anymore... that think they are gods gift to Guildwars... When they are simply nothing more then blowbags with a lev 20 character. Besides the point. I hope they will make it so some of these idiots that treat new people so poorly will no drive them away from the game.
=HT=Ingram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 03:14 AM // 03:14   #14
Paladin_Adoni
Lion's Arch Merchant

Guild: Cult of the Sacred Axe
Profession: W/Mo

I love it when groups do this to me, and its so obvious that my level 20 is carrying there low level asses through the level. I just map out and leave them to it

I soon get Whispers of. "You ****ing *** you made us lose the mission!" blah blah blah

to which I reply "Watch your manners next time son"
Paladin_Adoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 03:20 AM // 03:20   #15
Aaaaagh
Wilds Pathfinder

When morons start acting like this I just play dumb. All I do is type '?'

They either assume I cant speak english, which is fun cause they really lay the insults down then, or they just stop.

Unfortunately there is no good way to get a mature pick up group, you just have to put up with them and get through it. The rewarding part is when you get to click 'Leave' after its over, and add them to your uncountable ignore list.
Aaaaagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 03:28 AM // 03:28   #16
Golgotha
Krytan Explorer

Profession: Rt/

It's now summer, and there's a lot of young students joining the game due to not having school - not that you could tell they attend by most of their spelling - this is why its dropped. Now, I'm not saying all students act this way, but the overwhelming majority of those types of players just happen to be younger.
Golgotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 03:38 AM // 03:38   #17
Spartan2
Lion's Arch Merchant

Guild: Wrath of Nature [WoN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaaaagh
When morons start acting like this I just play dumb. All I do is type '?'

They either assume I cant speak english, which is fun cause they really lay the insults down then, or they just stop.

Unfortunately there is no good way to get a mature pick up group, you just have to put up with them and get through it. The rewarding part is when you get to click 'Leave' after its over, and add them to your uncountable ignore list.
Hmm... I my start doing this. "? No hablo engleis." If that draws any fire, racism or otherwise, you have a nice little screenshot to give to the GMs
Spartan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 03:50 AM // 03:50   #18
Lady
Pre-Searing Cadet

Guild: Enlightened Warriors (EW)
Profession: E/R

Immature players is why I prefer to party by myself or just with my husband and brother. Frankly, the way I see it, it's a game....I play it in my spare time to relax and I don't need children or anyone else screaming obscenities at me and calling me a noob.

Here's a thought, those who call everyone else noobs must be noobs themselves and I avoid them at all costs. Takes one to know one, right?

But yeah it is expected during the summer to have more teens playing.

I am so anti-social with this group of people, when I'm in town I turn off local chat and trade chat so I don't have to deal with whinners and idiots. Even if I'm trying to sell something I have the trade screen turned off. If whoever wants whatever I'm selling bad enough they will pm me. I tell them to in my post during trade.

I just don't have time to read through all the garbage and party with people who are going to slow me down by whinning about one thing or another.
Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 10:21 AM // 10:21   #19
Oracle
Banned

Guild: Servants of Fortuna
Profession: N/Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jion
That's a shame. If I wasn't in a great guild, there is no way on earth I would play this game. I never play with PUGs (I happily do SOC runs with henchies if everyone else is tied up), but with 30-40 very decent people in a guild, this game is so much fun and to all intents and purpose, those trash-talking brats really do not exist for me, as I have local/emote chat turned permanently off at the outposts (and in PvP).

I guess I play this game in a bubble but I wouldn't play it any other way.
Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 10:59 AM // 10:59   #20
Snowman
Jungle Guide

Guild: Devils Scorpions
Profession: W/E

I'll have to admit that I have lost my patience a few times.. I dont swair though, but sometimes you have to use capital letters and spam, because some people dont appear to be taking notice of the team chat. though the chat does seem to blend into the background too well. I often miss instructions

But yea, immaturity comes from all ages.. it cant be helped.. well, you can help it by avoiding it by being in a guild... but thats not always possible.

Just gotta accept it.
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This Forum!